Monday, September 3, 2012

Hollow Form II "The Colouring!"

So, having made one successful Hollow form I was keen to try another, only this time I would combine the experience with an additional task, I had watched Andy Coates' video on Youtube about colouring an Ash bowl, he did a great job, I was very impressed and indeed inspired!

I decided after turning this vase that it was the ideal subject as it had little markings or grain of interest and colour could be just the thing to liven it up some.
I wanted to end up with a dark olive green and gold look, so I initially laid on an all over coat of Yellow stain, followed patches of green and the whole then overlaid with orange, the green is a bit vivid out of the bottle and the orange helps to kill it a little and mute the intensity, leaving a nice subdued forest green colour, after that I dried the stains and then overlaid the lot with three more coats of the yellow to blend the colours and tie them all together, this is in fact a technique I have often used in Watercolour painting with very thin washes of colour.

Once the colouring was complete and dry I coated the vase with three layer of finishing oil and left it overnight to dry, buffing it through the three wheel system to a soft gloss finish this morning, here then is the resulting Coloured Hollow Form Vase.


No comments:

Post a Comment